We began a daily sharing over Every Day Poems on Twitter, inviting you to take a dip into poetry with us. Perhaps for you, the poem could be a pool. You could take a dip, a refreshing soak of your arms, legs, and lashes. Or maybe you’re the more hesitant type, dipping in only a toe to test the waters.
You might even be one who skips the pool and dips your pinky finger into a jar to savor the honey of a poem all morning. Or maybe one is not enough, and you order your ice cream cones with a triple dip.
However you do your dipping, we invite you to keep taking your daily dip into poetry with us, posting your favorite line from the day’s Every Day Poems, with the hashtag #dipintopoetry. Today, we’re sharing the top ten (by number of tweets and favorites) #dipintopoetry lines that were tweeted over the couple of months.
Is your favorite here? Tweet with us every morning, and don’t forget to add #dipintopoetry. We’ll be looking for your lines.
1. From The Aunts by Joyce Sutphen
and talk in voices that sound
like apple trees and grape vines
2. From Why So Eager for a New Year? by Bethany Rohde
I’ve been collecting
these water pockets
of new histories
3. From Skater by Ted Kooser
at the woman she’d been just an instant before
4. From Find Work by Rhina P. Espaillat
such a truce with time
spent in the lifelong practice of despair
5. From The Debt by R. S. Gwynn
The first thing he reveals is what you own;
The second, how you shall be made to pay
For everything you thought you bought so cheap.
6. From The Mischief Cafe by Glynn Young
because all poetry begins, or hesitates,
upon blank pages, and dreams
7. From What Happens Before Anything by Dara Barnat
the weight she
must have carried, piled on
like snowflakes, light at first
8. Again from Skater by Ted Kooser
as surely as she stepped, click-clack, onto the frozen
top of the world
9. From Bread and Roses by James Oppenheim
Hearts starve as well as bodies: Give us Bread but give us Roses
10. From Find Work by Rhina P. Espaillat
But I recall her floors, scrubbed white as bone
Thanks to our regular #dipintopoetry players: @vickiaddesso, @edaypoems, @tspoetry, @monicasharman, @windowonwords, @graceappears, @bethanyR__,
@doallas, @sandraheskaking, @theimaginedjay, @lwlindquist, @soulstops,
@lauralynn_brown, @lanearnold, @brightersideblg
Photo by Steve Johnson, Creative Commons License via Flickr.
Dip into poetry every weekday morning with a subscription to Every Day Poems and find some beauty in your inbox.
You Might Also Like
Latest posts by Will Willingham (see all)
- Deaf Republic Book Club: Act Two - March 18, 2020
- Deaf Republic Book Club: Act One - March 11, 2020
- Book Club Announcement: Deaf Republic by Ilya Kaminsky - March 5, 2020