We enjoy a daily sharing over Every Day Poems on Twitter, inviting you to take a dip into poetry with us. Perhaps for you, the poem could be a pool. You could take a dip, a refreshing soak of your arms, legs, and lashes. Or maybe you’re the more hesitant type, dipping in only a toe to test the waters.
You might even be one who skips the pool and dips your pinky finger into a jar to savor the honey of a poem all morning. Or maybe one is not enough, and you order your ice cream cones with a triple dip (and drizzled with ripened berries).
However you do your dipping, we invite you to keep taking your daily dip into poetry with us, posting your favorite line from the day’s Every Day Poems with the hashtag #dipintopoetry. Today, we’re sharing the top ten (by number of tweets and favorites) #dipintopoetry lines that were tweeted over the last couple of months.
Is your favorite here? Tweet with us every morning, and don’t forget to add #dipintopoetry. We’ll be looking for your lines. (You’re not getting Every Day Poems in your inbox every morning? Slide on over to our subscription page and we’ll get you set up.)
1. From Perhaps the World Ends Here by Joy Harjo
This table has been a house in the rain, an umbrella in the sun
2. From Eternity by Tracy K. Smith
What is the soul allowed to keep? Every
Birth, every small gift, every ache?
3. From Lucinda Matlock by Edgar Lee Masters
Life is too strong for you —
It takes life to love Life.
4. From Forgetting Someone by Yehuda Amichai
Forgetting someone is like forgetting to turn off the light/in the backyard
5. From Rondeau by Leigh Hunt
Time, you thief, who love to get
Sweets into your list
6. From Haitian Snapshot by Sandra Heska King
And the brightness of the sun blinds me.
7. From This, a Gospel, by Devin Kelly
In the beginning my beginning hummed
8. From Path Minder by Laurie Klein
This much can be done, daily
9. From Kindness by Naomi Shihab Nye
Before you know what kindness really is
you must lose things
10. From (Citizen) (Illegal) José Olivarez
he takes the hyphen separating loneliness
Thanks to our regular #dipintopoetry players:
@Doallas, @theimaginedjay, @SandraHeskaKing, @matthew_kreider, @monicasharman, @BethanyR__, @meganwillome
Photo by Steve Corey, Creative Commons license via Flickr. All poems previously appeared by permission of the poet and/or publisher in Every Day Poems.
How to Read a Poem uses images like the mouse, the hive, the switch (from the Billy Collins poem)—to guide readers into new ways of understanding poems. Anthology included.
“I require all our incoming poetry students—in the MFA I direct—to buy and read this book.”
—Jeanetta Calhoun Mish
- Earth Song Poem Featured on The Slowdown!—Birds in Home Depot - February 7, 2023
- The Rapping in the Attic—Happy Holidays Fun Video! - December 21, 2022
- Video: Earth Song: A Nature Poems Experience—Enchanting! - December 6, 2022
Megan Willome says
It’s so nice to see these lines again. Just warms my heart.
Sandra Heska King says
I love these lines. It’s hard to choose my favorite. I’m kind of sitting with #3 right now. And fun to see #6. 🙂