We enjoy a daily sharing over Every Day Poems on Twitter, inviting you to take a dip into poetry with us. Perhaps for you, the poem could be a pool. You could take a dip, a refreshing soak of your arms, legs, and lashes. Or maybe you’re the more hesitant type, dipping in only a toe to test the waters.
You might even be one who skips the pool and dips your pinky finger into a jar to savor the honey of a poem all morning. Or maybe one is not enough, and you order your ice cream cones with a triple dip (and drizzled with ripened berries).
However you do your dipping, we invite you to keep taking your daily dip into poetry with us, posting your favorite line from the day’s Every Day Poems with the hashtag #dipintopoetry. Today, we’re sharing the top ten (by number of tweets and favorites) #dipintopoetry lines that were tweeted over the couple of months.
Is your favorite here? Tweet with us every morning, and don’t forget to add #dipintopoetry. We’ll be looking for your lines. (You’re not getting Every Day Poems in your inbox every morning? Shimmy on over to our subscription page and we’ll get you set up.)
1. From The Panther by Rainer Maria Rilke
From endless passing of the bars his gaze
has wearied—there is no more it can hold.
2. From Let’s Make Walls Like This by L.L. Barkat
And a wall like this
would have a heart
3. From The Shadow by William Carlos Williams
Spring closes me in
With her arms and hands
4. From The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock by T. S. Eliot
Eyes that fix you in a formulated phrase
5. From Tumi Rabe Nirobe by Rabindranath Tagore
Thou shalt dwell in silence in my heart
6. From Where There’s a Wall by Joy Kogawa
where there’s a wall
there are words
The little waves, with their soft, white hands
8. From Ears of Wheat, 1890 by Barbara Crooker
His brush herringboned up each stalk
9. From A Soldier by Robert Frost
Our missiles always make too short an arc
10. From That New by Susan Rothbard
that apple bride
Thanks to our regular #dipintopoetry players:
Photo by Daniel Lee, Creative Commons license via Flickr. All poems previously appeared by permission of the poet and/or publisher in Every Day Poems.
You Might Also Like
Latest posts by Will Willingham (see all)
- A Random Random Acts of Poetry Day Wrap - October 10, 2019
- Celebrating 10 Years—Infographic: The Story of Tweetspeak in Balloons, Cake & Chickens - October 3, 2019
- It’s Random Acts of Poetry Day—And The World Could Still Use Kindness - October 2, 2019