We enjoy a daily sharing over Every Day Poems on Twitter, inviting you to take a dip into poetry with us. Perhaps for you, the poem could be a pool. You could take a dip, a refreshing soak of your arms, legs, and lashes. Or maybe you’re the more hesitant type, dipping in only a toe to test the waters.
You might even be one who skips the pool and dips your pinky finger into a jar to savor the honey of a poem all morning. Or maybe one is not enough, and you order your ice cream cones with a triple dip.
However you do your dipping, we invite you to keep taking your daily dip into poetry with us, posting your favorite line from the day’s Every Day Poems, with the hashtag #dipintopoetry. Today, we’re sharing the top ten (by number of tweets and favorites) #dipintopoetry lines that were tweeted over the couple of months. Sometimes that #dipintopoetry also inspires #everydaysketches. #everydayimages and #everydaysculptures.
Is your favorite here? Tweet with us every morning, and don’t forget to add #dipintopoetry. We’ll be looking for your lines.
1. From The Misses Beale and the Radio by Sarah Nichols
believe, really believe.
— SandraHeskaKing (@SandraHeskaKing) May 6, 2016
2. From Freight by Maura Dooley
and float you out beyond your depth
3. From Sweet Pirate of the Heart by Emily Dickinson
What wrecketh thee?
— Laura Lynn Brown (@lauralynn_brown) April 25, 2016
4. From Bees and Morning Glories by John Ciardi
hunchback bees in pirate pants and with peg-leg
hooks have found and are boarding them
5. From Scrutiny by Teow Lim Goh
Why must I prove
that I am me?
6. From The Pirates and the Sun by Sara Barkat
So the pirates took one look at the cities of the day,
From London to New York to the coast of Malay
— LW Lindquist (@lwlindquist) April 21, 2016
7. From Nantucket by Richard Maxson
he hides among the waves, he climbs them
8. From [The bird’s-eye view] by Ben Lerner
a hypothetical hole, a realm of pure
9. From Wine Tasting by Kim Addonizio
And last winter’s kisses, like salt on black ice
10. From Pirate Story by Robert Louis Stevenson
And waves are on the meadow like the waves there
are at sea.
Thanks to our regular #dipintopoetry players: @vickiaddesso, @edaypoems, @tspoetry,
@doallas, @sandraheskaking, @theimaginedjay, @brightersideblg, @soulstops, @BethanyR_, @nhendrickson1, @creatively_free, @matthew_kreider, @lauralynn_brown, @l_eins, @lisatphillips
Photo by 白士 李, Creative Commons License via Flickr. All poems previously appeared by permission of the poet and/or publisher in Every Day Poems.
Dip into poetry every weekday morning with a subscription to Every Day Poems and find some beauty in your inbox.
- Summer Break & Take Your Poet to Work Day - July 17, 2021
- Adjustments: A Belated Bicentenary Party for John Keats - March 4, 2021
- The Reindeer Chronicles Book Club: You’re Cutting a Tree in Almería and Getting a Storm in Dusseldorf - February 17, 2021