Poetry and Photo Prompts: Doors & Passageways Photo Play
As we begin a new year I’m delighted to introduce an ongoing Photo Play opportunity that will encourage you to explore our monthly poetry themes in a visual way.
I’ll be here to help you push your interpretation of the themes. This isn’t about camera techniques as much as it’s about “seeing”. We’ll work together (and play together) to develop how you see a subject and choose to photograph it. That can be as simple as where you stand and what you include in the frame, the most basic of all photography principles.
To start, we’re looking at Doors and Passageways, which can make for interesting photos even taken in the most literal way. Walking through any town or village you’re likely to find interesting subjects. I’m hoping we also can take that a little bit further and look for a photo play on the potential of the new year, represented by openings or paths that give just a hint of what may lie beyond.
When you’ve found your subject, take time to consider how you’re going to compose the image. Think about these questions:
– Do you want to get up close so you fill the frame with just the door – or a part of it?
– Is there anything interesting around the door or opening, that you’d like to step back and include to help tell the story?
– If you’re photographing a pathway, are there strong diagonal lines you can include to lead the viewer’s eye into the frame?
– How can you use your angle of view to limit what’s visible in the distance or through the doorway?
If you can’t decide between two possible approaches, shoot both and compare the images afterwards, thinking about what difference the composition makes to the mood of the photo.
Post your “photo play” on your blog, Flickr, or Pinterest account, and leave the link in a comment on this post. Some photos will be chosen for feature at Tweetspeak Poetry and all will be posted on our Pinterest Photo Play board. Deadline for submissions is this Thursday. See you back here soon!
Photos and post by Julie Matkin.
NOTE TO POETS: Looking for your Monday poetry prompt? On Photo Play weeks, it’s right here. Choose a photo from the post and respond with a poem. Leave your poem in the comment box. We’ll be reading. 🙂
Sometimes we feature your poems and photos in Every Day Poems if they’re a good fit. Thanks for playing with words and photos!
- Photo Prompts: DOORS & PASSAGEWAYS PHOTO PLAY 2 - January 20, 2014
- Poetry and Photo Prompts: Doors & Passageways Photo Play - January 13, 2014