Each month, we compile a musical playlist that corresponds with our monthly writing-prompt theme. It’s our hope that you find a little inspiration in the lyrical turns, the rhythms, the musical nuance.
This month’s poetic-prompt theme is “Swans, Swallows, Phoenix.” Using the prompt, I’ve assembled some of my favorite artists. R.E.M., Nat King Cole, Willie Nelson, George Jones, and Yo-Yo Ma–they’re all here. Some of my favorite lesser known folks are here, too. Welcome Andrew Bird, The Wailing Jennys, and A Fine Frenzy. And what phoenix themed playlist would be complete without a little Tenacious D?
It’s a more laid-back playlist this month at Tweetspeak, one that’s not hard to swallow. (Pun intended.) What do you think? Have we missed any of your favorites?
Poetry Prompt: Plug in your headphones, listen to the Tweetpseak playlist, and write. What do the rhythms and lyrics conjure? What words come? Pen your Swan, Swallow, Phoenix poem and share it with us in the comments below.
Tweetspeak’s May Swans, Swallows, Phoenix Poetry Prompt:
This month we’re considering Swan’s, Swallows, Phoenix, and we’ll be composing poems around the theme. How do you participate?
1. Consider a swan, swallow, or Phoenix (the bird or Arizona; we’re open to all interpretations). Listen to our monthly prompt-themed playlist. What images, emotions, metaphors, or allegories do they conjure? Do the birds (or does the city) stir any memories?
2. Compose your own poem around the theme.
3. Tweet your poems to us. Add a #TSSwan hashtag so we can find it and maybe share it with the world.
4. If you aren’t a Twitter user, or if you’d rather, leave your poem here in the comment box.
5. At the end of the month, we’ll choose a poem to feature in one of our upcoming Weekly Top 10 Poetic Picks.
What bedtime tale
would any good parent speak
to strike fear
so a child would sleep?
Oh, I ain’t a-sleepin’
‘though my covers quake
I’m holding out
’til there’s no sand to shake.
Move right along
and don’t stop here
bringing your “f” that ends in “ear”.
Do you want to have your work highlighted here at Tweetspeak? Join us this month as we explore the theme “Swans, Swallows, Phoenix, ” and maybe we’ll highlight your poem in the coming months.
Buy a year of Every Day Poems, just $5.99 — Read a poem a day, become a better poet. In May we’re exploring the poetry theme Swan, Swallow, Phoenix.