Thank You Notes is a monthly prompt that focuses on expressing our thanks to a particular person, place, or thing — in poems, paragraphs, or pictures. This month, we’re crafting thank you’s to Thank You Notes (the hand-written kind).
The other day I wrote a thank you note to a friend who gave us tickets to a theater performance. First I selected a card and envelope from my mix-and-match set. Then I found a good pen and wrote my thanks by hand. Finally, I hunted and gathered a stamp. The exercise took less than 10 minutes, but I know he will smile when he receives our note. I know that because we smiled when he sent us a hand-written thank you note after we had him over for dinner.
Next month we’re going to launch a new writing prompt called By Hand. It’s about things we do with our hands — like write thank you notes — and how doing them can relieve depression and improve our writing voice. Look for By Hand in December.
For now, let’s write one last thank you note to thank you notes themselves.
Prompt Guidelines and Options
1. Be specific. Think nouns instead of adjectives. If you are crafting a pictorial thanks, show us something unusual or intriguing that we might not have otherwise noticed if we hadn’t seen your picture.
2. Consider fitting the form of your poem, paragraph, or picture to mirror the nature of the person, place, or thing to which you are expressing thanks. A sonnet is different from a villanelle, for instance. Maybe one would be more fitting than the other.
3. Consider playing Taboo and try writing without using the words and phrases thanks, thank you, gratitude, or grateful.
4. Consider doing a little research about your subject: its history, associated words (and their etymologies), music, art, sculpture, architecture, fashion, science, and so on. Look for unusual details.
That’s it! We look forward to your creative thank you notes.
- ‘A Wrinkle in Time’ Book Club: the heart within me knows - October 21, 2020
- ‘A Wrinkle in Time’ Book Club: every listless star - October 14, 2020
- Children’s Book Club: ‘Just Beyond: The Scare School’ - October 9, 2020