I heard a question posed this week that I’m not sure has been heard before: What kind of publisher publishes a book without telling the authors?
In some punctuarial realms, one might want to add a combination of exclamation points and additional question marks.
The answer, of course, is T.S. Poetry Press. And, of course, even a publisher so mischievous as T.S. Poetry wouldn’t do such a thing with every author, no. But with Ann Kroeker and Charity Singleton Craig, co-authors of the newly (surprise!) released On Being a Writer, a sort of non-book launch seemed the perfect approach. The book, the second in the Masters in Fine Living Series, invites writers beyond the flurry and frenzy of following the latest sure-fire way to reach instant success as a writer and to build a sustainable writing life that is satisfying in the long term.
To celebrate the book’s release—and invite you to explore such a writing life—here are ten great quotes from On Being a Writer by Kroeker and Craig.
1. “There comes a time when you feel like a writer. Maybe that moment is now.” —Ann Kroeker
2. “I become one of those people on whom nothing is lost.” —Ann Kroeker
3. “I choose to be a writer.” —Ann Kroeker
4. “I’m not waiting for the writing life to randomly bounce across my path.” —Ann Kroeker
5. “Finding that thing only I can write about is life-giving.” —Charity Singleton Craig
6. “I don’t know how else to break it to you: writing is hard.”—Charity Singleton Craig
7. “We are compelled to start for precisely the same reasons we find the writing hard.” —Charity Singleton Craig
8. “The struggle and the difficulty prove writing’s worth, not its vanity.” —Charity Singleton Craig
9. “Life is short. If I’m going to spend my time writing, I want to be skilled.” —Charity Singleton Craig
10. “Again and again, your time will come.” — Kroeker & Craig, On Being a Writer
Photos by Claire Burge.
Sure, share these pinnable images from our On Being a Writer Pinterest board
Browse more titles from T. S. Poetry Press
- Summer Break & Take Your Poet to Work Day - July 17, 2021
- Adjustments: A Belated Bicentenary Party for John Keats - March 4, 2021
- The Reindeer Chronicles Book Club: You’re Cutting a Tree in Almería and Getting a Storm in Dusseldorf - February 17, 2021