At the beginning of March, the beautiful Laura Boggess made an offer. Post a Mug Shot for Tweetspeak, and she’d give the top entrant a custom mug (custom poem to be written by yours truly, L.L.).
The competition became… fierce. Okay, fiercely amusing—with one mug actually going on a road trip, where it modeled with a bear, a bird, and a beer man. (See the dedicated montage below, honoring Sandra Heska King’s road-trippin’ mug.)
As it turned out, the judging process also became fierce. I thought it sounded simple enough. I wanted the process to be fair (which meant I couldn’t be a judge, since I know the participants), so I gave my girls the parameters:
1. each girl: pick your top 3 choices, with attention to creativity, beauty, and presence (the original charge was to capture one’s reflection in the mug, or to overshadow it somehow)
2. put the six finalists into a hat (well, not the finalists, but their representative slips of paper)
3. pull out the winner
Glitch number one: “I can’t choose three!”
Mom fix: “Well, all right, choose your top four.”
Glitch number two: “Not fair! One of hers is more likely to win because she put in more choices!” [darn, why did I teach them about probability?]
Mom fix: “Put yours in the hat and choose. Then she can put hers in the hat and choose. Then we’ll put the final two in the hat and choose.” [Phew! Negotiating this process requires a degree in diplomacy.]
Glitch number three: “I feel sad. I want them all to win.”
Mom semi-fix: “There can only be one Top Entrant. That’s the rules. Okay, but we can have six Runners Up.”
And so it is.
Reno K. Lawrence was chosen as the Top Entrant, for which he will receive this custom poem on a Tweetspeak mug…
He collects the eclectic—
scent of dew kisses,
a soft lowing, a ringing,
from morning’s blue, blue bells.
(Bluebonnets photo by Reno)
Thanks to everyone who participated in our project!
All Project Participants
Reno K Lawrence, Top Entrant
Darlene, runner up
Kimberlee Conway Ireton, runner up
Sandra Heska King, runner up
Tania Runyan, runner up
Matthew Kreider, runner up
Emily Wierenga, runner up
Sandra’s Road Trippin’ Mug
Visit our store now and find a great gift for Mother’s Day (or any old day), under $15.
Post by L.L. Barkat, author of Rumors of Water: Thoughts on Creativity & Writing
- Top 10 Best Lord of the Flies Quotes - March 1, 2021
- The Generativity of Wild Things: On Rethinking Our Relationship With Money - January 16, 2021
- The 7 Principles of Making Friendship Work-Part III: Love and a Little GPS - December 1, 2020